Wednesday, June 22, 2005

A GIFT FROM AN EAGLE

There are few material possessions in this life that I want or require. I do have a list of things that would be wonderful to find such as: a glass fishing ball, a native trading bead and an eagle feather. On our way into to Gorge Harbor I noticed a lone eagle sitting on a small rock island at the entrance. He watched us as we passed and in my vivid imagination I felt as if he were beckoning me. In my mind I could hear native chants as we passed the ancient pictograph of the "Man Riding a Whale". It was a magical moment! When we returned an hour later to drop our prawn trap he was still in the same spot. I insisted that Louie take me to the rocks in the dinghy. As we quietly approached the island he flew right at us. I climbed up onto the highest point where he had been and noticed a regurgitated ball of small teeth, fur and bones. The down feathers from his preening were caught on the plants below where he had been perched. As my eyes searched the crevices I spotted it. A lovely eagle feather left behind as if it were a gift to me.

No comments: